Sunday, June 17, 2012

It's A Summer Thing????

When you think of summer you think of a garden, Right?. It has not always been a garden thing for the Schuerns! We have tried and failed!! But in the last several years Tom has now became a FANTASTIC garden boy!! 
Tom actually put more cherry tomatoes in that large ones...Not by choice, but they all have been great!!! He thought he bought the large tomatoes but...They were cherries!!! 
These onions are so good! We make chives with them we use them on salsa and Tom grills them. They are the very best!
We have never had such wonderful cucumbers!! They have been great!! Vance has been staying over at Pops and Mima and he loves to go pick a bowl of cherry tomatoes and then I slice a cucumber and this is one of his favorite lunches!! When ever he blesses the food for dinner he always prays that everyone will eat their vegetables!!
We planted red, yellow, and green bell pepper and they have been delish!!! We took squash and bell peppers to FHE with our young Single Adults last Monday when they made pizzas and they loved having fresh Vegges!!
Now the onions have been out of this world!! I make salsa and I have to say it ROCKS!!! The peppers of all kind have been great!!! Beauties!!! 
So to chicken!! THIS IS NOT A SUMMER THING TO DO!!! Especially when it is 108 degrees out side!! I was running low on my chicken because I pretty much use it for everything! Soups, salads, dips, casseroles  stuffed cheese crisps, enchiladas , sandwiches, soft tacos and the list goes on! I knew I would not make it through the summer with what I had left from the last time I bottled it!!  
Zaycon food was coming through and this is where I always order. 1.89 lbs is a good buy! It comes in a forty pound box! Poesy said she wanted some too so I told her to come help and we would split but....she got busy and did not come to help and I ended up doing all 80 lbs my self!!  
It actually went very smooth!! I think I got it down to a science! 
As I was waiting for the first batch to cook...My visiting teachers came and they asked me why I was playing a Christmas playlist on my iPod!! I explained that I love Christmas music but the real reason why...... I was trying to pretend it was winter outside and cold weather!! Because you should not bottle chicken in the heat of a summer in the middle of the day! By the time you are down you are ringing wet with sweat!!
The finished product!!
AND it is all worth it!!!
Thanks Tom for all the work you do in our garden!
It is one of my favorite things!! 
Love you Tom Scheurn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment