Monday, February 8, 2010

Rhett Takes Second Place At Regions





































We have been looking forward to Rhett's regional wrestling tournament that was on Saturday February 6th! Rhett has been traing and working out harder than ever! He has been staying after his two hour practices every day, for another hour at least working out, running, lifting and wrestling the heavier weight wrestlers and just giving it his all to be ready for regions! His coach felt sure he was more than ready! They said his endurance and strength was amazing!Rhett was the number seat for regions! He had beat everyone in our region except for the Tempe High wrestler in his weight class! Rhett even wrestled up a weight class this year (191lbs) and pinned both of those wrestlers even though he weighed 170! But... for some reason Rhett has not been able to beat the Tempe wrestler! (Tempe is in blue and Maricopa is in black) He has wrestled him three other times before regions at different tournaments and was beat by points! And few matches not that many points!So.... with all the extra hard training, Rhett and his coaches, Coach Ford and Coach Trulson, felt sure he was ready to meet the number one seated wrestler from Tempe at regions!Since Rhett was seated so well (second) he only had one match witch was a wrestler from Maricopa High before wrestling the Tempe kid for first and second in the championship dual! Rhett wrestled a great match with Maricopa, but it did go all three periods and Rhett won that match by several points!Now it was time for the championship duals in each weight class! It was center floor and the gym was packed! Family and friends were there to watch Rhett and my motherly emotions were more than I could handle! I wanted it so bad for Rhett because he had worked so hard for it! I think in my heart and Rhetts heart, this match meant more to Rhett than state did!When Rhett came out on the mat he looked so ready, like he could take anyone on at that point! I can tell Rhett wrestled his heart out and never once did not give it his all! The match was so intense the crowds were cheering for him, He coaches did not sit one time, They were yelling and I think Tom and especially Walker were so excited that they were going to have a heart attack! The match was very defensive and the points would go back and forth between the wrestlers! The Tempe kid almost pinned Rhett once and Rhett almost pinned the Tempe kid twice! The dual went three periods and the one thing Rhett had going for him was his stamina! Half way through the third period the kid was really staling and the crowd was yelling he stalling and Rhett was trying to get a take down and Rhett unfortunally was called for an illegal hold and so the Tempe kid got a point for that! But Rhett still broke him down and never gave up! Rhett was ahead at this point and there were 3 seconds on the clock and it was the third period and Rhett had him down and just when the final buzzer blew Rhett jumped up off the mat and put his hands in the air! He was so happy! He was soaking wet from sweat and his face looked little beat up but he was so happy and the crowd was screaming and through all the yelling and cheering we did not hear the referee blow his whistle at the same time the buzzer blew! And... In the last one or two seconds of the third period the referee call an other illegal hold on Rhett! The coaches were beside them self with the call they said it was not illegal and try to protest the call, and the crowd were beside them self's as well! So they gave the Tempe kid a point so it tied the score and it went into over time!!!! I thought I was going to go down on that mat and kick a few peoples a _ _ _ _ at that point! So when there is over time the wrestler who gets the first take down or point wins! I truly have not felt that much pain for one of my kids in a long time! Rhett had worked so hard for that very moment, and I know when no one was looking he shed a few tears! After the match he went shook hands with the other coaches and then went to his coaches for a few minutes and then it was the most tender sight, Rhett found Walker standing right behind the coaches and Rhett just fell into Walkers arms! Walker just hugged him and I do not know what he said to Rhett but what ever Walker and Tom told him it seemed to make things okay!By the time Rhett came up to the stands that I was sitting in, I went to go talk to him and tell him how proud I was of him and how sorry I was that he did not win the match because I knew how hard he had worked for that, and all Rhett said was "I gave my ALL and I know I did all I could If I had to wrestle him tomorrow I would not change anything, I did ALL I could and I will get him at STATE"!!!Yes Rhett took second in regions and we could not be more proud of him, he has had an outstanding wrestling season this year! We will be heading up to Prescott, this week for state! State is all day Thursday and Friday this week and we look forward to see how Rhett will end up at state! He is the number seven seat now for state!Rhett never forget that you are dad"s and my champ forever! Again we LOVE you and can't wait for state!

No comments:

Post a Comment